These days, uniforms have become required in many locations, from schools, to sporting groups, to the office. This implies there is a growing need to buy various kinds of uniforms in every working sector. However, many areas do not have many uniform retailers available to buy from. If you reside in a place where there are lots of customers who want and use uniforms, but lacks an assortment of uniform retailers, a uniform retail shop might be the perfect venture to get started.
- Target a market audience for your uniform retail shop. Whether it is primary, secondary, or work uniforms. As an example, you may sell grade school uniforms, medical uniforms, uniforms for sports teams such as custom design basketball uniforms, or perhaps for selling customised work uniforms for retail businesses.
- Write a business plan detailing the following about your uniform shop, with the detailed description of your market, startup costs, monthly expenditures for the first three decades of operation, three-year profit analysis, analysis of competition, strategies for expansion, marketing and public relations strategies. Make sure you write down everything that goes into a basic business plan so you know your business out comes and realistic goals.
- Obtain the licenses needed in town to be a retailer. This might include an assumed name certificate (DBA, or “doing business as”), resale license or sales and use tax license. Your neighborhood small business development center can allow you to know what is required.
- Secure a room to retail your uniforms, including a physical store for customers to visit. As an alternative, you can retail the uniforms online. In cases like this, you will require a storage space that is free of dust, sunlight, pets and scents for your stock, including a commercial warehouse or clean, fresh spare cupboard for all your uniforms to reside in. In doing an online store, you also need to consider shipping cost and extra expenditures which may be involved.
- Buy wholesale clothes from a uniform provider. There are many wholesale directories, such as Wholesale Central, which have buying information for providers and manufactures of different kinds of uniforms, from various prices and styles to match you budget and needs. Uniforms such as primary, secondary, retail, or even sporting custom basketball uniforms; you can really buy anything from a wholesale provider given the price and time to order.
- Join an association for uniform retailers, like the Uniform Retailers Association, to network with suppliers and gain new client prospects. This is also a great platform for you to network you business on, and for you to meet new people in the field and to gain some insight on the uniform business.
- Market your uniform retail shop as much as you can. Depending on your budget, there are many ways you can promote your business. For example, you can send coupons and fliers to local mother’s groups, medical institutions, or sports teams, launch a promotional event on your website, or provide discounted shipping when you intend to run an internet uniform shop. Also consider creating business cards to market your business; making sure to add all your contact details, and location of the store so future customers know where to buy their uniform. Consider setting up a website also, for customers to easily search you and your business online. This will make it easier for future customers to find you, along with bringing vast amounts of traffic to your site. All these marketing tips will greatly benefit you business, as every bit of consumer coverage counts.